Often, branding, technical or company choices indicate that you require to alter your domain. An improperly handled relocation can actually harm your SEO if you’re not mindful. Fortunately, WordPress makes things quite easy– here’s whatever you require to do.
10 actions to move WordPress
This guide presumes that you’re moving from one domain to another. If your migration is more complicated (e.g., a subdomain on one website, to a folder on another), you might require to adjust the directions.
Take a backup of whatever When you begin moving files and databases around, there’s a lot that can go incorrect if you’re not cautious. If you face issues, it’s finest to make certain that you can strike a’reset’button and bring back a backup. Include a robots.txt file to the brand-new website
robots.txton the brand-new domain (or modify it through your Yoast SEO plugin settings), with the following contents:
- Copy whatever throughout Get a copy of your files and a copy of your database, then move whatever throughout to your brand-new hosting environment. You might require to configure your storage and database settings!
- Configure your wp-config. php file Ensure that you have the right database settings for the brand-new hosting environment, and include the following lines (changing
example.comwith the brand-new domain).
- Gain access to and configure your website Now whatever must be available on the brand-new site; however you ought to certainly verify, and ensure that all of your settings are correct.If you have a
caching plugin or system, do not forget to clear out all of the old information.
- Discover and change old domain worths Set up the Change and browse plugin, and do a search and change for your old domain with your brand-new domain.
- Eliminate the robots.txt file on the brand-new website Now that your site is established and all set to go, you can get rid of the robots.txt file which is avoiding Google from seeing it.
- Establish a redirect on your old website Utilize your tool of option to establish a redirect on your old website, so that all demands to your old domain set off a 301 redirect to (the very same page on) the brand-new domain. Test this completely!
- Eliminate your old code and database Apart from whatever code or tools you’re utilizing to power the redirect from the old website to the brand-new one, you can eliminate all your old code, material and databases.
- Update external services Do not forget to alter the settings on all of your third-party accounts which incorporate or reference with your site. They’ll require the brand-new domain! That ought to be it, you have actually moved WordPress to
a brand-new domain. Please note them in the remarks if you have any ideas or area things that I have actually missed out on! Find out more: 6 concerns about redirects for SEO”