Thinking about importing your site or blog site material into WordPress? Excellent news! There’s an integrated tool in WordPress that makes it simple to move your material from one site (or perhaps one platform) to another: the WordPress import tool.
In this short article we will cover the native WordPress import tool and the actions you require to require to import material and blog sites. If you’re searching for a Divi tool to import or export styles, you can find out how to do that here.
Platforms And Site That Work With The Import Tool
The WordPress import tool enables users to import site material straight from not just WordPress sites, however likewise from other platforms. In addition to WordPress, you can import material from:
- Blog writer
- Classifications and Tags Converter
- Movable Type and TypePad
Each import technique varies somewhat, depending upon the export format supplied by each website. We’ll discuss the differing user interfaces a little later in this short article.
How to Gain Access To the WordPress Import Tool
1. Log into your WordPress account and browse to the control panel.
2. From your Control panel, have a look at the primary admin menu on the left side of the screen. Find the link to Tools. That’s where you’ll discover the Import tool.
3. Hover your mouse over Tools, where you’ll see the choices to Import and Export. Click Tools to broaden the menu, then choose Import.
4. On the Import Material screen, you’ll see an initial list of alternatives to import material from WordPress, Blog Writer, Medium, Squarespace, and Wix. Simply choose the appropriate choice if you’re preparing to import from one of these websites. If you’re attempting to import from another website, click Select from Complete List at the bottom of the menu.
If you clicked Pick from Complete List, you’ll see extra alternatives. These consist of Blog writer, Blogroll, Categories and Tag Converter, LiveJournal, Movable Type and Typepad, Tumblr, WordPress, and Xanga. How WordPress Import Functions for Varying Platforms Depending upon the platform you’re importing from,
WordPress import differs a bit. The tool accommodates various types of export files from the supported sites, so importing from Tumblr will be a various experience from a SquareSpace import. For each platform, WordPress uses a detailed tutorial for getting an export from that specific website. From the Import menu, just click the platform you’ll like to import from, then click the blue link that states Requirement assist exporting your material?( See the Blog writer image listed below for an example.)Blog writer Importing material from Blog writer includes a drag-and-drop procedure. If you wish to import from Blog writer,
you’ll initially require to get an XML export from your Blog writer website. Drag and drop it into WordPress import. Blogroll exports its material in OPML format. When you have actually developed your Blogroll export, you can either paste your OPML URL on the page
, or publish the file to import. Convert Categories
, or publish the file to import. Convert Categories
to Tags WordPress import permits users to transform existing blog site classifications to tags. A list of your tags will occupy on the import page when you pick this choice. Click the checkboxes of the classifications you wish to transform to tags, then click Convert Categories to Tags. Kid classifications from any of the classifications you picked to transform will then end up being high-level orphans, so keep that in mind prior to you select this alternative. LiveJournal If you’re all set to import your LiveJournal to WordPress, you’ll really require to link your account.
You’ll see fields where you can fill out your username, password, and the password for any safeguarded posts that may be on your journal. All posts will be imported into WordPress as public posts if you do not get in the safeguarded post password. To begin the import, enter your info, then click Link to LiveJournal and Import.
The procedure can take a substantial quantity of time, depending upon the number of entries remain in the journal, so be prepared to reserve time for the tool to work. Medium To import your posts from Medium, you’ll initially wish to run an export from Medium. You’ll get a zip file consisting of HTML files.
When you have actually got the export, head over to your brand-new WordPress website to publish the file, then follow the triggers to import. Movable Type or TypePad For a Movable Type
import, you’ll submit an exported file from your blog site directly into the import tool.< img class= "with-border aligncenter" src="
Squarespace Your Squarespace export will include an XML file you can publish straight into WordPress. Simply drag and drop, or click to submit.
You can import your Tumblr blog site directly into WordPress by linking your account. Click the button to connect your WordPress account to Tumblr, then follow the triggers to link accounts.
Wix permits a direct import from its platform to WordPress. To get going, you’ll get in the URL of your website. Follow the guidelines to link your websites and import your Wix posts, pages, and
media into WordPress.
WordPress There are 2 methods you can go about importing that website if you have actually selected to move one WordPress site or blog site to another. The very first method is to choose the WordPress alternative from the preliminary Import menu (see action 3). When you utilize this import screen to move your website, you’ll submit an XML file or zip archive, which you’ll initially require to export from your old WordPress website.
Return to your present WordPress control panel when you have actually got the export. You can either click or drag to submit your XML or zip file through the importer.
The 2nd choice is to import your old WordPress site straight from the URL. To access this choice, very first head over to the primary Import menu, then click Pick from Complete List. (See action 4 above.) After that, choose WordPress. You’ll see a field where you can go into the URL to your old WordPress website. Follow the triggers to export, then upload, your old website to the brand-new one.
How To Export Material From Your Initial Website The export procedure from your initial website to WordPress will depend entirely on how that particular website’s export tool works. For the functions of this post, I’ll reveal you what it appears like to export a Squarespace site, then utilize the WordPress import tool to submit everything into my brand-new website.
1. I logged into my Squarespace work area and clicked on Settings. I clicked Advanced.
< img class ="with-border aligncenter"src="https://websitedesign-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/how-to-utilize-the-wordpress-import-tool-11.png"> 2. I picked Export when I got here at the Import/Export screen. 3. The Export screen provided me the alternative to export to WordPress, so I picked that alternative. 4. Throughout the export, Squarespace occupied a list of all the material on my website. As soon as that was total, I clicked Download to get my XML file.
How To Import Initial Website Material Into The WordPress Import Tool 5. Head back over to the WordPress import tool and pick the proper platform you’ll be importing from as soon as you have actually exported your website material. I returned over to the Import menu and Chosen Squarespace. From there, I clicked to import my XML file, although you can likewise drag the file over and drop it into the import tool.
6. When your import starts, you’ll require to choose which WordPress author you wish to designate the material to. In my case, I just have one author in my website, however numerous WordPress websites have several authors. Bear in mind this as you move on. As soon as you have actually chosen your author(s), click Start Import.
7. When your WordPress import starts, you’ll see a development bar on the page that will provide you a basic concept of the length of time the procedure is going to take. If you require to, it’s safe to browse away from the page. WordPress will inform you when the procedure is total.
8. When your import is total, head over to Pages in your admin menu to see the website pages you imported. From here, you’ll have the ability to set and arrange up your material the method you desire it in your brand-new WordPress website. To see a few of the very best WordPress styles for blog writers, take a look at this post.
9. To see the article you imported, click Posts in the primary menu. Your blog sites will be noted there as different posts.
If you’re utilizing Divi and are searching for totally free article design templates like this one, have a look at our Divi Resources classification on the blog site. We provide
The WordPress import tool is an easy method to move an old site into a brand-new WordPress work area. With its ease of usage and comprehensive guidelines, it’s possible to move your website without a great deal of hassle. That’s excellent news for anybody who’s prepared to make the shift to the vast array of performance and tools WordPress uses.
Have you utilized the import tool in WordPress? Are you considering it? Drop us a remark and let us understand.
Short article included image by V4D/ shutterstock.com